Human Resources Specialist
Community Action of Greater of Indianapolis – Indianapolis, IN
Purpose of Position:
Provide strategic oversight of Human Resource functions within the agency. Provides executive and administrative direction on all human resource related matters (recruitment, on boarding, performance management, employees relations, compensation and benefits, diversity initiatives, etc.) Ensure CAGI adheres to legal standards and in-house policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Additional duties as assigned:
- Directs and actively participates in all HR disciplines including recruiting, HR training, performance management, employee relations including workplace investigations, compensation, and unemployment benefit claims.
- Inputs and assures that all employee data is accurate and up to date in the HRIS system and employee personnel files.
- Develops, updates, audits and maintains written personal policies and guidelines.
- Accurately and timely documents new hires, transfers, job change classifications, increases, investigations, resignations, terminations, and exit interviews.
- Conducts job posting approvals, candidate prescreening, interviews, background checks, employment offers, drug screen authorizations, and new hire on boarding.
- Consult with legal counsel to ensure agency policies and actions comply with federal and state law.
- Answers day-to-day questions of employees or directs employees to the correct person in order to gather more information.
- Oversees process to investigate work-related accidents and maintains required records.
- Handles workers’ compensation issues in compliance with company policy, as needed.
- Assists with planning and conducting new employee orientation to foster positive attitude toward Company goals.
- Reviews, assists with updates to the Employee Handbook to reflect current workplace policies and procedures.
- Update employee handbook, as needed.
- Update employee files to document personnel actions and to provide information for payroll and other uses.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, business or related field and at least 5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 plus years of supervisory experience.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and strong people skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of employment law, both federal and state.
- Strong ability to work well with all levels of management, agency staff, board and general public.
- Proficient skills in Microsoft Office products; Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement in handling and maintaining confidentially of agency, board information and other material.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effective present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; stoop and kneel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Compensation will be based on experience
Selected candidate will be required to pass drug screen and criminal background check.